It’s been reported that each year one in three Americans over the age of 65 will suffer a fall. It can be easier to slip and fall in winter. Steps and roads are slippery. Sometimes snow covers ice on sidewalks. And bad weather can make it harder to see. Courtesy of Elise Guenther of Edina’s Southdale YMCA, here’s a list of ways to help prevent you and your loved ones from falling:
- Wear appropriate footwear with high traction.
- Walk with small, careful steps.
- Walk only on shoveled sidewalks and roads.
- Avoid running or quick walking.
Additional tips, no matter the season:
- Remove clutter and tripping hazards.
- Install railings on all stairs and add grab bars in the bathroom.
- Install proper lighting, especially near stairs.
Stay strong with regular exercise to help prevent falls. Check out fitness options at Southdale YMCA.