- 2 medium zucchini (1 1/2 cups shredded)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Wash, trim, peel and finely grate zucchini and set aside. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 baking pan. Set aside.
In large bowl sift all-purpose flour, self-rising flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.In another large bowl, beat butter. Slowly add sugar and mix until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat until light in color. Blend in vanilla. Reduce speed and mix in flour mixture, buttermilk and zucchini in three alternate batches. Mix until smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Set cake aside to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
Beat cream cheese and butter until well blended. Reduce speed and slowly add powdered sugar. Beat a few minutes until light and fluffy. Carefully add vanilla extract. Blend in cream to reach a smooth spreading consistency.
Generously frost completely cooled cake and serve. Refrigerate leftover frosted cake.