With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it’s time to talk turkey. The bird is synonymous with the holiday, yet a big undertaking for many a well-intentioned cook and carver. Got the bird cooked and ready to go? Here’s how to carve in style.
Tips for the Carver
- Minimize garnishes to leave room for cutting.
- Convention allows standing to carve so if it’s easier, stand up.
- Unexpected bones can get in the way. A little investigation reveals where they are.
- Carving is unduly complicated by a dull knife. Take the pressure off the carver by diverting guest’s attention.
- Always cut across the grain. Avoid cuts with the grain: The resulting long meat fibers form a stringy texture to slices.
- Turkey slices cool quickly! Use a warm serving platter and plates.