With kids, we’ve found the most enjoyable way to celebrate Valentine’s Day is a fancy home-cooked dinner, enjoyed after the kids have gone to bed. Of course, we have to have dessert and this five-ingredient vanilla bean creme brulee for two is the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar divided use
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Additional granulated sugar for caramelizing
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, add heavy cream and 3 Tbsp. of sugar over medium-low heat.
- Bring the cream mixture to a light simmer (it will begin to steam) and then remove it from heat. Set aside and let cool.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, remaining 1 Tbsp. of sugar, vanilla bean paste, and salt.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of the cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking to combine. Add another 2 Tbsp., whisking to combine. This will keep the eggs from scrambling from the warm cream.
- Add this tempered egg yolk mixture to the saucepan of cream, whisking continuously as you add it, and whisk until combined.
- Place two ramekins in a baking dish.
- Divide creme brulee mixture between two 6-8 ounce ramekins. Fill the baking dish with water, about half-way up the creme brulee dishes.
- Place baking dish in preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until just set. They will still be jiggly in the middle.
- Cool at room temperature for an hour and then place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or (preferably) overnight.
- Once ready to serve, top each ramekin with about 1 tsp. of sugar.
- Melt the sugar with a creme brulee torch, until golden brown. You can also do this under a broiler.
- Serve and enjoy!