Dedicated home offices can be hard to come by … especially when kids are at home and need space to do their schoolwork while many adults are also still working from home. The kitchen table works for some, but people often need a quiet space to get things done. So, here are a few tips for setting up a space saving home office in any room of your house.
- Choose a location with lots of natural light and a door if possible for when you need to focus or answer calls. If there’s a lack of natural light, invest in a good desk lamp.
- Opt for a desk that has plenty of storage and a spacious desktop. We love the Elfa desk systems from The Container Store. They are fully customizable and simple to assemble. They are great for kids too--a perfect craft table for youngsters that can transition to a desk for older children.
- If your desk must be shared, give each person a labeled drawer to keep everyone’s items separate and organized.
- Invest in a high quality, comfortable chair. Your back will thank you and it will make sitting for long periods of time more enjoyable. Add a throw blanket for style and comfort.
- Stock essentials: sticky notes, notepads, a desktop calendar, pens, pencils, etc. Use accessory trays to keep small items organized and accessible inside drawers.
- Use a charging station: Tablets, phones and computers are getting a workout these days and keeping them changed and ready is essential for a successful work or school session.
- Make it your own: Add plants, artwork and other personal items to personalize your workspace.
- Tip: Keep your desktop uncluttered by storing essentials inside the drawers, and only decorative items on top. Less clutter = less stress.