This time of year when schedules get crazy and the holiday hustle starts to set in, I love having a few recipes in my back pocket to fall back on during the week. In this one skillet dish, the gnocchi cooks right in the pan with the other ingredients, so it soaks up all of the flavor. Not to mention, one less pot to clean. This is pure comfort food and a family favorite of ours - my boys just love gnocchi!
Creamy Sausage and Spinach Gnocchi
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package potato gnocchi
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian diced tomatoes
- ¾ Cup chicken broth
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- 3 Cups chopped baby spinach
- ½ Cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and onion to the skillet and cook until the sausage is browned and onion is softened.
- Add gnocchi, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the gnocchi is softened.
- Add heavy cream and the baby spinach and stir until spinach wilts.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve topped with additional Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Simple swap: Use milk instead of half-and-half.