From the open kitchen to the leather-topped bar stools to the red-and-white checkered tablecloths, Edina’s Convention Grill epitomizes the classic American diner. The restaurant has been serving up hamburgers, fries and malted milks since 1934, making 2014 its 80th anniversary. Owner John Rimarcik spent nearly 20 years in the restaurant business before buying Convention Grill in 1974.
After graduating from the University of Minnesota with a journalism degree, Rimarcik turned to business and hasn’t looked back. At 75 years old, Rimarcik continues his enthusiasm for his work. “I love the restaurant business,” Rimarcik says. “I love what I do.”
Convention Grill Trivia
- How many eggs go into each egg salad sandwich? 5
- How many potatoes are used yearly? 350,000 pounds
- How much ice cream goes into a malted milk? 1 quart
- What’s the longest someone has worked at the restaurant? One server has been with the Convention Grill for 32 years.
- What is the most popular meal? People love the classic hamburger and fries combo. And sharing a malted milk, of course.
Convention Grill’s delicious malted milks contain a full quart of ice cream. To keep your waistline in check, consider sharing whichever flavor you choose. Half-serving $4.95, full serving $5.95. Convention Grill, 3912 Sunnyside Road; 952.920.6881.