Edina Magazine is hiring a web-based writer, content manager and social media specialist for a six-month term as the primary shepherd of our title on the web. This intern-level position is perfect for university students or recent graduates in the fields of journalism, media, writing, marketing and more. This position reports to web editor Alex Gaterud; read the job description below. If interested, send a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to Alex Gaterud.
Job Summary: This internship-level position will manage the web presence of several CLM titles, with the monthly objective of turning a print issue into a suite of engaging web content, including online-only stories, social media posts, newsletters and more. Candidates for this internship will gain relevant, real-world experience in online journalism, web publishing, multimedia storytelling, project management, SEO optimization, social media marketing and beyond. In addition, candidates can expect to improve their writing, editing and proofing abilities as they produce frequent online articles.
Interns are expected to work ten to 15 hours in Tiger Oak’s downtown Minneapolis offices. Hours are flexible and most schedules can be accommodated. Our offices and staff are welcoming to all candidates. This is an unpaid internship; small stipends are available.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the web content process for two to three CLM titles each month, from uploading to marketing
- Write, edit and fact-check blogs, web-only stories and photos for CLM websites
- Upload monthly hardcopy content to CLM websites
- Consistently update and add calendar events to CLM websites
- Continually maintain online archives on CLM websites
- Approve and edit user-generated content for community page
- Continually monitor and edit all content on CLM websites, highlighting issues as they arise
- Write, edit and lay out occasional content for CLM monthly newsletters
- Research potential story ideas for websites and some hardcopy stories
- Reports closely to Web Editor, Managing Editor and Senior Editor, but also adheres to web needs of each CLM editor
- Assist Web Editor with occasional web-based projects, including online reader surveys, polls, photo contests and giveaways
- Some fact-checking as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to write engaging and entertaining articles
- Basic knowledge of journalism, including style and format of articles, interviewing and fact-checking
- Familiarity with the AP Style Guide, and basic knowledge of HTML and social media
- Basic knowledge of HTML, social media sites and PC environment, including Word, email and photo and web uploading software
- Ability to multitask and work for a number of editors on a number of assignments
- Ability to meet and work under deadlines